Wednesday 6 August 2014




Neil Raby (My Ironman experience 2014)
 



I have wanted to take part in an Ironman triathlon since seeing it in Bolton in2009 it was then I decided to start my journey into triathlon (5 years ago). I have enjoyed the whole 5 year journey that at times has been hard but always enjoyable. I have met some incredible people along the way and I am part of an incredible triathlon club (Bolton tri-club) who have supported me for the last 3 years to achieve my goal.

The training for the Ironman has been tough but ultimately enjoyable and rewarding with the race itself being something I will never forget, from the registration on Thursday to crossing the finishing line on Sunday evening 14 hours after starting the swim at Pennington flash.

To see all the spectators at the swim and lining the bike route to the incredible crowds all along the run course who gave me an incredible boost and made me feel proud to part of the Bolton family, I will be honest the run part of the race was the hardest thing I have ever had to do but the feeling when finally getting the last lap arm band was amazing. Reaching the finishing chute and realising I am going to run down that red carpet to the finish was the most uplifting 30 sec anybody could experience. When I crossed the finishing line and heard those words “Neil you are an Ironman” I knew that in front of all my family and friends I had achieved the goal I set out to do 5 years ago.

(oh and yes I have signed up to do it all again in 2015)



Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment